The best depth finder for pontoon boats is one that will take a deep enough reading so that the user can avoid deep water. The old days of using the lead line to check the depth of the water are gone and with it most of the fisherman’s knowledge about water depths. There is also a need for advanced technology in-depth finding devices for pontoon boats so that you can be assured about your safety when fishing in deep water.
Quick table with our top 3 picks:
Top 10 Best Depth Finder For Pontoon Boats Reviewed
- Lucky portable fish finder 818 is the newest model of lucky fish finder. Unlike most rectangular portable fish finder on the market today, the portable fish finder 818 adopts ergonomic design, the streamlined shape is more in line with the shape of the human hand when holding things in the natural state. You won't feel tired even if you use it for a long time. Functionally, like other lucky fish finders, portable fish finder 818 has multiple functions to help you get a good catch easily.
- Functions of handheld depth finder: ①Real-time display water depth, fish location rock and weed.②5 levels adjustable sensitivity for clear water and turbid water. ③Background light for night fishing(on/off). ④Fish detector alarm(on/off). ⑤Save powder mode(on/off). At the save power mode, the handheld depth finder can be used consistently at least 6 hours.
- Wide detection range: The max detection depth of portable fish finder 818 is 328ft (100m) with 45°detecting degree. And sonar transducer frequency is 200Khz. The sensitivity adjustable function make the portable fish finder 818 have an accurate detection anytime, no matter the water is clear or turbid. (Tips: please use a low sensitivity when water is turbid) The operational temperature of portable fish finder 818 is : 14℉ to 122(-10°C to 50°C). Fish finder all season!
- Easy to use: The usage of handheld depth finder is very easy. All you need to do is put power on and throw sonar transducer into water. With the mini size, handheld depth finder can be used places like: canoes, kayaks , pontoon boats, jon boats, row boats, ski jets , float tubes, bank, dock. And if you always fishing bass, crappie, trout, use portable fish finder 818 is an absolutely good way to get a good catch!
- Warranty Policy: We offer 12 months warranty for LUCKY portable fish finder 818. Portable fish finder 818 will be an good partner if you are the person who love ice fishing, shore fishing, surf fishing or kayak fishing. Any questions before or after purchase, please feel free to contact us via Amazon message (response within 24 hours every day online).
- Delivers uninterrupted depth readings from 2.5 to 600 feet on the largest display available on an In-Dash Depth Sounder up to 60 mph. Transducer Frequency-200 kHz
- ShootThru sonar technology allows for depth readings through solid fiberglass hulls and up to 1/8-inch aluminum hulls
- 3-stage Advanced Warning System clearly signals an alarm condition with an audible alarm, an ultra bright red LED warning light and LCD alarm indicators
- No glare, polarized LCD icon display with storage sun cover allows for spot free viewing with or without sunglasses; Algorithmic programming significantly reduces false readings and produces unmatched precision
- HawkEye products are manufactured both in the USA and overseas using technology designed and developed with American ingenuity
- Clear Vu scanning Sonar shows you more of what is in the water around your boat; This high frequency sonar gives near photographic images with detailed representations of objects, structure and fish
- The power of simple offers a keyed interface with dedicated buttons; The device is easy to use and easy to install; Available in 3.5, 5 and 7 inch display sizes; Water rating IPX7
- Waypoint map: Use the way point map to easily view, mark and navigate to locations such as brush piles, stumps and docks; Maximum depth 1,600 feet freshwater, 750 feet saltwater; Current draw at 12 volt: 0.23 Ampere
- Chirp Sonar sends a continuous sweep of frequencies which provides a wider range of information; Chirp Sonar is able to create crisper fish arches with better target separation
- Built in flasher: View your sonar data in the classic flasher format; Ideal for ice fishing or vertical jigging. Display size: 1.9 x 2.9 inches (4.9 x 7.3 centimeter); 3.5 inches diagonal (8.7 centimeter)
- 5" widescreen display
- Features CHIRP Digital Sonar, GPS mapping, AutoChart Live, Humminbird Basemap, DualBeam PLUS and SwitchFire
- SwitchFire Sonar: Take command of how your sonar returns appear. With two display modes, you can add or remove detail, account for water depth, temperature and turbulence, even watch lure presentations - all at the push of a button
- Dual Beam PLUS Sonar: Two beams combine for great detail and a generous coverage area, helping you identify fish, structure and contours
- Humminbird Basemap Built-in: Our enhanced standard basemap provides you with a clear view of underwater terrain and surrounding points of interest so you can fish and navigate with total confidence. Identify buoys, daymarkers, hazards, marinas, contours, depth markers and much, much more. Includes charts of more than 10,000 lakes, plus coastal coverage for the U.S.
- EASY TO USE: The Lowrance HOOK2 4x Fish Finder features auto-tuning sonar and phone-like menus giving you more time to spend fishing and less time dealing with settings.
- WIDER SONAR COVERAGE: The HOOK2 4x offers a wide-angle sonar cone giving you double the coverage of traditional fish finders.
- EASY SETUP: A single transducer can be mounted on the transom, inside the hull, on the trolling motor or through a scupper hole.
- TRANSDUCER INCLUDED: The included Bullet Skimmer transducer gives you traditional 2-D sonar (fish arch) views.
- Includes dual-beam transducer with Garmin Chirp traditional sonar for crystal-clear images and remarkable target separation
- Built-in Garmin quickdraw contours mapping software lets you create and store maps with 1’ contours for up to 2 million acres
- Built-in GPS lets you mark waypoints, create routes and view boat’s speed
- Bright, Sunlight-readable 4.3” display and intuitive user interface
- Rugged design for every fishing environment. Frequencies supported: Traditional: 50/77/83/200 kHz, Transmit power: 200 W (RMS)
- 5-Inch Color WVGA Display
- Down Imaging for a clear view of what's happening below your boat
- SwitchFire SOnar to take command of how your sonar returns appear
- Dual Beam PLUS Sonar - Two beams combine for great detail and a generous coverage area
- Keypad control interface X-Press menu system
- This amazing fish finder is specially designed for amateur and professional fishermen to find fish location, depth and bottom contour of water, perfect to be used in the sea, river, lake and fantastic for detecting schools of fish in any particular area.
- Display type: 3.5" 18bit TFT V320XH240 sunlight readable. Depth reading from 1.8 to 984ft (0.6-300m) in 1/10th precision. Bottom contour and water temperature indicator. 100 levels of sensitivity setting and multi-level depth range.
- Auto zoom bottom tracking and quick manual zoom. "Stop chart" at any time. Multi-language menu settings (English / Russian/ French / Chinese / Japanese / Finnish / Polish / German / Italian / Spanish / Dutch / Korean / Swedish / Greek / Danish). Big/small fish identification and fish depth indicator.
- User selectable feet or meter reading. User selectable sonar chart mode. Clear fish icon. Depth compensation. Audible fish and depth alarm, depth alarm 3-99ft.
- 200KHz/83KHz duel beam sonar frequency. Anti-interference from the grass when used in lake. Display different bottom (grass, sand, rock) in the sea. 800 watts maximum output power; 100 watts RMS power. Battery strength indicator. Perfect for ocean, river, lake fishing, etc.. 800 watts maximum output power; 100 watts RMS power. Battery strength indicator.
- Easy-to-use 3.5-inch color fishfinder with built-in, high-sensitivity GPS
- Includes CHIRP (77/200 kHz) sonar transducer; transmit power (200 W RMS)/(1,600 W peak-to-peak)
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Garmin Striker Protective Cover 010-12441-00 - GRSTRIKERPC
- Shows you what is in the water: water depth, approximate fish location (suits for all sorts of fish), fish size(small/medium/big), short & tall weeds, sand & rocks on bottom. Suitable for fishing from a kayak, off the dock, and ice fishing. You can use the fish finder on moving kayak with slowly speed below 5mph. It can be used in fresh water as well as salt/sea water.
- Easy to Use: Toss the transducer into water and turn on the display unit, it will show you the water depth and approximate fish depth if fish schools passing by. It has 5 user selectable sensitivity; battery save mode; backlight mode ; fish alarm; unit of measure. Setting can be saved when turned off. The fishfinder is powered by 4 AAA batteries. It lasts 4-5 hours with new batteries in continuous use.
- Very portable that you can take it anywhere: It comes with neck strap that allow you to wear it around neck when you are busy on the kayak. It also comes with a water resistant bag to protect your fish finder display from water splash. The storage case is very easy to carry and will protect your fish finder from accidental bumps, scratches, or water splash.
- Accurate Depth Reading: The fish finder use sonar to detect water depth and fish location. Sonar Frequency is 200 kHZ. Detectable area is 45 degrees beam angle under the sonar transducer. Detectable depth range is from 3ft/1m to 328ft/100m below the sonar transducer.
- Warranty and Brand Support: The Venterior Portable Fish Finder is covered by a 2-year Warranty. Any issue of the fish finder after purchase, please don't hesitate to contact our brand support (warranty card comes with product in package), we will response within 24 hours every day online.
5 Things You Must Know While Choosing The Best depth finder for pontoon boats
The accuracy of the depth finder is important as it determines how much you will get to fish in an area. You can have a very accurate depth finder that will still not help you fish deep waters because it is not accurate enough.
2. Depth range
The depth range of the device determines how far the device can read down and also how accurate it is. The deeper the water, the more difficult it is to measure its depth accurately. The best devices are those that can measure very deep water depths, but they are not very accurate in doing so.
This refers to how fast your device reacts to changes in water depth, and this plays a vital role in determining how well you will be able to make use of the information provided by your depth finder. The sensitivity of a device plays an important role in whether or not you can make use of its information immediately or if you need to make adjustments before fishing for deep waters. For instance, if your depth finder has a low sensitivity rate, then you may need to adjust it before making use of its information for deeper fishing areas. But if it has a high sensitivity rate then adjustments may not be needed at all before using it for deeper waters as long as there are no dramatic changes in water depths that are indicated by the sensor readings provided by your depth finder. It would take some time before adjustments would be needed due to different factors like weather conditions or currents affecting the readings.
4. Size and weight
The size and weight of the depth finder directly affect how you will be able to use it. A large depth finder may not be able to fit into your pocket, and if it is not very light then you may also have difficulty carrying it around. Therefore, you should consider the size and weight of a depth finder before buying it so that you can choose a device that would suit your needs best.
5. Price range
The price range of the depth finders varies depending on their features, quality, accuracy and sensitivity levels among other things. If you are looking for a device with customizable features then you need to pay more for its purchase as compared to a simpler device that has only one or two functions with no other additional features included in its price range. On the other hand, if you are looking for a very simple depth finder that will work well in all kinds of water depths then this will be available at an affordable price range so that they are affordable to all those who want to buy them.
As you can see from the above points, the depth finders will help you make use of your fishing equipment easily and accurately. Their accuracy depends on their sensors, and this is why it is important for you to ensure that you are buying one that has the best sensors for your requirements. Most devices have a range of features that will help you make the most of them, and these features include customizable settings, waterproof design, large screen size, accurate readings and others. You should also consider the size and weight of your device before choosing one among all those available in the market so that you can choose a device which would be easy to carry around while fishing.