Gate wheels are the most important part of a lock. Without them, your lock will be useless. In the beginning, it was not possible to buy a quality gate wheel. Only a few manufacturers made them, and they were not easy to get hold of. After some time, however, more and more companies started making gate wheels that are comparable to each other in quality and price. Today there are so many different options that you can easily find one that meets your needs and fits your budget. You just have to know what you want and what kind of lock you have. The guide below will help you find the right gate wheels for your particular needs!
Quick table with our top 3 picks:
Top 10 Best Gate Wheel Reviewed
- Our gate wheel prevents gate sagging
- Fits round tube gate 1-5/8" to 2" O.D.
- Allows gate to open and close with ease.
- Country of origin : United States
- 8 inch diameter black air-filled pneumatic rubber tire on steel hub with 360-degree swivel and universal mount
- Universal 3-3/4 inch x 5-1/2 inch mounting plate has 6 elongated 3/8 inch bolt holes and offers 2-1/2 inches of vertical spring travel
- 200-lb load capacity
- Spring-loaded design promotes easy open and close and eliminates gate sag over time and across uneven surfaces
- Oversized air-filled pneumatic tire promotes easy rolling over rough terrain and requires little initial thrust to open or close residential, farm, or commercial gates
- ONLY fits Gate Frames of 1-3/8" to 1-7/8" - Will NOT fit other sizes
- Refer to Installation Instructions and Measuring Chain Link Pipe - See Graphics
- Occasional Lubrication of Wheel Bearing with Spray Lube is Recommended
- Designed to allow gates to open and close freely
- Hard rubber wheel and metal caster stem
- 125 lb. load rating
- Spring-loaded clamp acts as a shock absorber when caster is rolling over uneven or rough surfaces
- Universal mount for wood or metal gates
- Spring loaded gate caster is made of thick steel and very strong construction, PU material wheel is very durable, swiveling great and rolling smooth
- Total height is 11", wheel diameter is 2", mounting holes distance is 2.95" length by 1.77" width, retractable length is 2.55"
- Max load capacity up to 125lbs
- Designed to allow gates to open and close freely by spring-loaded system adjusting height on uneven ground, avoiding the sagging gate. As a shock absorber made wheel rolling smoothly to save energy when you push gate
- Come with 4 bolts, it’s easy to install on your gate; fit to wood or metal gates and fences
- 【Built-in Spring Design】: Unique spring built-in-design, extends spring’s service life while providing a more beautiful appearance. Built-in spring-loaded clamp acts as a shock absorber when gate wheel is rolling over uneven or rough surfaces, reducing stress on gate hardware, extending the life of a gate’s posts and hinges
- 【1-3/4” Self-regulating Vertical Travel】: Adjustable spring bracket with up to 1-3/4” spring-loaded vertical travel, automatically adjusting gate height with surrounding terrain throughout the opening and closing cycles, effectively prevent gates from sagging to keep the fence line level
- 【Heavy Duty Gate Casters】: Thicken matte black power coat finish plating steel plate and double ball bearing bring strong load bearing support, 220lbs maximum load capacity for each gate caster, make it easy to open or close large, heavy gates
- 【360° Swivel Wheel for Gate】: 4 inches ageing resistance rubber caster with 360° rotation top plate, great in mechanical strength and loading capacity, easily transform to any direction that you want, enabling you to spend little strength to move gate safely
- 【Easy to Install】: Universal mounting plate with 4 holes to easily attach to wooden gates with lag bolts, the versatile hole pattern also allows for easy mounting to a tubular farm gate along horizontal or vertical gate rails, mounting bolts and screws are included
- 【Spring-loaded Design】: Adjustable spring bracket with up to 1-3/4” spring-loaded vertical travel, automatically adjusting gate height with surrounding terrain throughout the opening and closing cycles, effectively prevent gates from sagging to keep the fence line level
- 【Durable Construction】: Thicken matte black power coat finish plating steel plate and double ball bearing bring strong load bearing support, 220lbs maximum load capacity for each gate caster, make it easy to open or close large, heavy gates
- 【360°Swivel Caster】: 4 inches ageing resistance rubber caster with 360°rotation top plate, great in mechanical strength and loading capacity, easily transform to any directions that you want, enable you spend little strength to move gate safely
- 【Shock Absorbtion】: Built-in spring-loaded clamp acts as a shock absorber when gate caster is rolling over uneven or rough surfaces, reducing stress on gate hardware, extending the life of a gate’s posts and hinges
- 【Easy to Install】: Heavy duty universal mounting plate with 3 holes to easily attach to wooden gates with lag bolts, the versatile hole pattern also allows for easy mounting to a tubular farm gate along horizontal or vertical gate rails, mounting bolts and screws are included
- Rolling Gate Carrier Wheels for chain link Gate Frames measuring 1-3/8" to 1-7/8"
- Rubber wheels are hard rubber - 6" in diameter - total width of 12" outside dimension
- Adjustable wheel carrier - Allows gate to run straight - See instruction sheet
- Gate Wheel - Attach to any gate that will be assisted by a caster to swing open and closed without sagging. Stand off Bracket permits caster to rotate 360 degrees. Perfect for indoor or outdoor use. Heavy metal mounting plate.
- Spring Suspension - Caster will roll over concrete with ease. Roller bearing on an iron hub with a poly tread. Gate wheel with spring.
- Iron core with Polypropylene - Will withstand the elements and provide years of service. Mounting hardware is NOT included, so please choose the solution that best suits your application. Bolts, lag screws or any strong fitting will be appropriate.
- Heavy Duty - Metal shaft, bearings and spring. Vinyl wheels Add to any gate kit to provide effortless movement of any heavy door or gate. Prevent gate sag. Sealed bearings
- Wood or Metal - Door Gates can be electric, wooden, or metal. Weld or bolt with large vertical plate. Double welded construction. Casters will roll in any direction the fencing gate is pushed.
- 【High support weight】An actual high-strength fence gate wheel with the capacity of 550 pounds. The wheel's width and curved rim make it adaptable to all kinds of roads, gravel road, dirt road, and cement road.
- 【Good structure】The tire is real solid rubber with good elasticity and quiet function. Bearings are standard ball bearings, bearing capacity and service life are much higher than other bearings.
- 【Hot-dip galvanized thick frame】The wheel frame adopts new technology, high strength, and hot-dip galvanized; longer rust prevention time. In addition, the steel plate is more thikcer than ordinary products.
- 【Standardized chain link fence parts】After a few years, it is easy to buy and find accessories if the bearing or wheel is damaged, save you money.
- 【Stainless steel bolts with locknuts】This gate wheel adopts Stainless steel bolts and stainless steel locknuts. Therefore, there will not happen the gate wheel can't disassemble because of rust.
5 Things To Consider Before Buying The Best Gate Wheel
1. Pick the Right Type of Gate Wheel
There are three main types of gate wheels: lever, cam, and disc. The lever type is the oldest and most common of all. It consists of a long arm that is attached to a lever. When turning the lever, the arm moves up or down and turns the bolt head. The cam gate wheel looks like a cam but with only one side cut out. This type has two parts: one that rotates on an axis and another one that turns on a circular path around it. The disc gate wheel also has two parts: one part rotates on an axis while another part revolves around it. The disc gate wheel is usually made of stainless steel but can also be made out of plastic or aluminum.
2. Pick the Right Size
A good quality lock will have at least two different sizes for its gate wheels: standard and extended, which are usually called “normal” or “large”. Some locks come in three sizes – those are called “extra large”, “super large”, and “giant”. These size options will help you choose between small or large gates for your lock depending on how much space you need to fit in your door jamb or if you want to add extra security to your door by giving burglars extra trouble when trying to open it from inside too. If you are buying a new lock for your home, you should consider getting one with as many different sizes as possible since this will allow you to lock your door in different ways, depending on what is needed at the time.
3. Choose the Right Material
The most common material used to make gate wheels is stainless steel, but some people prefer plastic or aluminum due to their low cost and lightweight properties. Gate wheels made of stainless steel are more expensive than those made of other materials but they are also more durable and will last longer than others. The main disadvantage of using stainless steel as a material for making gate wheels is that it does not allow for easy cleaning, especially when dust accumulates inside them. Plastic or aluminum are also good materials for making gate wheels because they do not rust and allow for easy cleaning with water. However, these materials have their own disadvantages as well: plastic can easily break if it is hit by a hammer or if too much force is applied to it and aluminum can crack due to repeated bending or hitting against other pieces of metal. As a result, you should only choose plastic or aluminum over stainless steel if you know what type of lock you want to buy and know that you will be able to clean it properly every now and then so that dust does not accumulate in it over time.
4. Pick the Right Size For Your Door Jamb
Some locks come with two different sizes of gate wheels: one standard size (for normal doors) and one extended size (for larger doors). If your door jamb has an inner dimension smaller than the standard size, then you will need an extended size lock. If your door jamb has an inner dimension larger than the standard size, then you will need a standard size lock.
5. Pick the Right Type of Lock for Your Door
The type of lock that you choose should depend on the kind of door that you have in your home. If you have a wooden door, then you should get a mortise and tenon lock since these locks are designed to fit into wooden door frames. If your home has a metal or iron gate, then you should get a cylinder lock since these types of locks are designed to fit into gates and doors made from these materials. However, if your home has wooden or iron gates but does not have any doors made from wood or iron yet, then you should consider getting an extra large deadbolt instead since these locks require only one bolt as opposed to two bolts in most other types of deadbolts.
The Bottom Line
There are many different types of gate wheels available for homeowners to choose from, but the most important thing to know about these products is that they are all designed to help protect the security of your home. If you do not want to spend a lot of money on these products, then you should consider buying second-hand ones. You can also make your own gate wheels if you want to save money by doing so. However, if you are looking for a product that will last a long time and will not break easily, then you should consider buying new ones instead.