Casting resin is an art form that has been around for many years. It’s a difficult process that can be daunting for both artists and sculptors, but it’s not impossible. It takes patience, skill, and hard work to create a good piece of resin casting.
If you want to try your hand at casting resin, the first thing you need is the right material. In this article, I will tell you all about the different materials you could use to create your next masterpiece. Make sure to also read up on how these materials can help make your pro.
Quick table with our top 3 picks:
5 Things To Consider Before Buying The Best Mold Material For Casting Resin
1. Molding Material
The first thing you need to consider is the type of mold material you want to use. Generally, there are two types of mold materials: thermoplastic and thermoset. Thermoplastic molding materials are flexible and easy to work with, while thermoset materials are more rigid and difficult to work with. The best material depends on your project and what you want it to look like.
2. Mold Size
The next thing you need to consider is the size of the mold you will be using for casting resin. The size of the mold is determined by the size of your project, so make sure it’s big enough for your piece! The bigger the piece, the more resin that needs to be poured into it in order for it to be cast properly. Think about how much space (in inches) will be needed for your project before buying a mold.
3. Casting Resin
You’ll also need to think about the type of casting resin you will be using for your project. There are a lot of different types of casting resins on the market, but the most common ones are polyester, epoxy and silicone. These materials are all great, but each one has its own unique characteristics. The type of material you use depends on the look you want your piece to have. For example, if you want it to be shiny and reflective, then you’ll want to use a polyester resin. If you want it to have a rough texture or feel more like stone or marble, then you’ll want to use silicone or epoxy.
4. Mold Cleanup
The last thing that will probably come up when deciding which mold material is best for your project is how easy it is to clean up after your piece is cast. When working with thermoplastic molding materials such as urethane foam or styrene foam, cleaning up after casting should be fairly simple and easy. With thermoset materials, however, you may need to clean up after your piece is cast, as they tend to be more difficult to remove from the mold.
When choosing the best mold material for your project, you’ll also want to consider precasting. This means that you’ll want to think about how much resin it will take before you can start creating your piece. Generally speaking, if it takes less than a gallon of resin for your project to cast properly, then precasting is probably not something you should be doing (unless you have a lot of experience working with casting resins). If it takes more than a gallon of resin for your project to cast properly, then precasting is definitely something that should be done! When precasting with thermoplastic molding materials like urethane foam and styrene foam, it’s generally recommended that the amount of resin needed be at least double the amount needed for casting. When precasting with thermoset materials, you’ll want to make sure that you have enough resin for at least 2.5 times the amount of resin needed for casting.
6. Mold Design
When designing your mold, it’s important to keep in mind the material that you’re casting in it. For example, if your project is going to be made out of thermoplastic material such as urethane foam or styrene foam, then you’ll need to design the mold so that it can take the weight of this material and not break or chip when being pressed into the resin. For thermoset materials such as epoxy or silicone, though, it’s generally not necessary to design a mold with this same type of strength in mind because these materials are much more durable than thermoplastic materials and will not break when being cast into a resin. It’s also important to consider how easy it will be for you to remove your finished piece from the mold once it has been cast! For more information on mold design, please see our Guide to Mold Design.
Top 8 Best Mold Material For Casting Resin Reviewed
- Silicone Resin Mold Set: Use our silicone molds for resin to create everyday objects that look like true pieces of art; Reliable and top-quality mold set that is designed both for beginners and experienced epoxy artists
- Unleash Your Inner Artist With A Resin Art Molds - Super-easy to use resin mold kit, just follow these simple steps: prepare the resin, then add fillers and colors. Pour into the mold and demold after fully cured. That's all there is to it
- Everything You Need Is Included: 5-piece set of molds for epoxy resin, 5 droppers, and 1 measuring cup. All you need is a bit of resin and a lot of imagination. The rest comes in the package. Now find what inspires you
- User-Friendly And Top-Quality Bundle of Molds: Easy to work with, so you won't have problems when demolding your piece of art; Silicone Resin Mold Set doesn't take up too much space, so you can put it anywhere you want
- Durable, Resilient, And Easy To Maintain: Roxy Epoxy Molds are low-maintenance items: just use soap or dish detergent for washing; You can use them for years to come as they will become your favorite tool when working with epoxy
- Silicone Mat: Made of High Quality Silicone, Non-Skid, Heat-Resistant, Durable and Stable, not Easy to Deform or Tear Up. Table Protector, Great Assistant Tool for DIY Craft.
- A3 Size and Colors: Package include 3 Large Silicone Sheets, 15.7” x 11.8”(30cm x 40cm), large enough to catch most mess, Bright Colors(Blue & Rose Red & Green) Add Vitality to Your Life and Keep a Good Mood.
- Easy to Clean & Store: The Silicone Sheets are Washable, Flexible, Clean with Cloth and Warm Soapy Water Wipe. Flexible and Lightweight, Easy to Fold or Roll Up, Takes up Minimal Space, Convenient to Store and Carry on.
- Temperature Resistance: -20℉~446℉(-30℃~230℃) Can Be Used in Oven, Microwave Oven, Refrigerator.
- Multipurpose Mats: Great for Resin Molds Crafts, Jewelry, Casting Molds and Other DIY Tools and Materials, As Well As Pot Holder, Coasters, Dish Mats, Tableware, Trivet, Heat Insulated Pads, Also the Indispensable Tool For Dining Tables, Kitchens, or Bedrooms.
- Usually delivered in 7-15 days if it is fulfilled by merchant.
- Materials: These molds are made of quality silicone, transparent, flexible and durable, eco, recyclable and light. Easy to use and clean.
- Double-sided design: Ocean or snow mountain theme, the both ends of each mountain molds can be used, one side is mirrored and the other is frosted. Make DIY crafts that suit you according to your preferences.
- Easy to release: When you release the item out of the mold, just twist the mold, the piece can be easily push out. You could also use resin mold spray, which help you extend the silicone mold's life.
- Perfect DIY gift: You can fill in some seabed creatures to create stunning miniature seascapes. Or you could make your unique Christmas, birthday, new year gifts for your friends and family.
- 🎨【ALL IN ONE PACKAGE WITH 1 TWEEZER】Catcrafter Crystal Clear Epoxy Resin Kit comes with a Resin of 204ML/ 6.9FL.OZ, a hardener of 204ML/ 6.9FL.OZ, 32 Different and colorful Assorted Colors Mica Powder Packs, 10 Plastic Cups with the size of 30ML, 2 Measuring Cups with the size of 100ML, 5 Pipettes, 1 Silicone Mat, 10 Mixing or Paint Stir Sticks, 10 Finger Cots, 1 Tweezer, 10 Bamboo needles, 2 Plastic Orifice Caps, and an Instruction book to make things easier incase you find things complicated.
- 🎨【32 ASSORTED COLORS MICA POWDER WITH COLORFUL PACKAGE】32 assorted Mica Powder Packs with different colors, each bag 5g with assorted colors. Use these powders to tint your Amazing Clear Cast for jewelry and more. 160g total. Colors are chosen at random. Also comes with a colorful package to gift to any person who loves to create arts and crafts and creativity in things.
- 🎨【FUN AND CREATIVE AND EASY TO USE】It is very easy to use for beginners. If not, we also provide a book full of instructions to guide you through every step to create things and be more creative and jewelry making and custom-made things and have a fun time with friends and family.
- 🎨【NON-TOXIC RESIN AND DURABLE MATERIAL】Self-leveling, self-degassing, low-odor, non-toxic, no fumes, resistant to yellowing from UV exposure and long-lasting, this clear epoxy resin for all of your casting and coating applications. With all the durable materials it is the best Resin Craft supplies & materials DIY Kit in the market.
- 🎨【PEFECT GIFT WITH 30 DAYS GURANTEE】Buy with confidence with 30 days Money back guarantee. A perfect gift for any age. Avail of this offer today so that you can secure your time and creativity and create your own custom made jewelry and keychains and a lot of things.
- Handy Hand Drill for Crafts: Help drill small holes in resin, wood, plastic, polymer clay, bead, pearl or other not too hard surface, assist to make resin jewelry, resin keychain, necklace, erring, bracelet, pendant, model, sculpture, doll etc., make small precision job much easier. Note: Not fit for hard materials, like iron, steel, stone.
- Sturdy & Exquisite Pin Vise: The precision resin drill is made of premium stainless steel, rust proof, sturdy and durable. Silver surface, polished handle, has even rough texture in 3 turning parts, looks pretty exquisite and can be rotated easily, fit for various DIY craft projects.
- Precision Drill Bits Set: 10 sizes of steel drill bits, 0.8/1.0/1.2/1.5/1.8/2.0/2.2/2.5/2.8/3.0 mm, satisfy your different demands. Pointed end, good for drilling, and the holes drilled will be nice and clean. All 10pcs are packed in a plastic box which has 10 compartments and according marks, prevent loss, and easy to distinguish.
- Tight 3 Jaw Chuck: The hand pin vise features 3 jaw chuck, clamp the drills bits in 0.8-3 mm, keep them upright and clip them tightly, great for smooth drilling work, and it’s easy to install and replace drill bits by rotating the vise head.
- Use-friendly Drill Tool: Swivel hand drill for manual drilling, 12 cm/ 4. 72 inch long, right size for average hand, good for using. Simple operation, just half unscrew the vise head, insert the drill bit, then screw the head tightly, target the place, fix the top of handle while turning the handle.
- PREMIUM MOLDS MAKING SILICONE MATERIAL: Our blue silicone rubber are made by safe silicone material, non-toxic and no odor, very flexible, durable,premium silicone for making molds. The hardness is 30A.
- EASY MIXING & POURING: This silicone molds making kit is 2 part silicone, including part A and part B, the mixing ratio is 1:1 by weight. Pour the Part A and Part B together, then stir the liquid silicone mixture for 3~5 minutes, make sure to stir the molding silicone mixture thoroughly for better results.
- NO BUBBLES: The bubbles of liquid silicone mixture will automatically disappear within 2 hours, no vacuum degassing is necessary. The working time of blue making mold kit is 5 minutes at room temperature and the completely cure time is about 8~12 hours at room temperature, it varies on your mold size and thickness. If it's s little sticky, please extend the curing time of silicone molding rubber.
- GREAT FOR BEGINNER: If you're new to the silicone mold making, this mold making kit is a perfect choice for you to try! No special skills or tools are needed. You could enjoy this fun and creative activity all day.HOW to CLEAN: If there's any spill, please clean with soapy water or rubbing alcohol.
- WIDE APPLICATION: It's very ideal for art craft use, DIY your own resin molds, wax molds, candle molds, use to make molds for resin, wax, soap, casting, etc. ATTENTION: Not for making food molds use.If you have any quesiton with our blue molds making silicone kit, please don't hesitate to contact us.
- 【Package Includes】Come with 24 pcs 3D modeling for resin mold fillers, which include 15 pcs 3D mini jellyfish resin fillers for resin casting and 9 pcs 3D mini mushroom resin fillers for resin casting
- 【Premium Material】The tiny jellyfish miniature figurines & tiny mushroom miniature figurines for resin casting are made of high quality plastic, mushroom molds and Jellyfish molds are durable to use and not easy to break
- 【Exquisite Details】3D stereo natural shape, vivid and realistic. The details are in place and the portrayal is exquisite, which is very suitable for making forest landscape modeling ornaments
- 【Easy to Operate】Just put the mini mushroom figurines and mini jellyfish figurines in to the silicone resin mold/resin casting mold/resin epoxy moldwhen making or can be placed and displayed as a micro landscape figurines due to the epoxy resin filling materials are very mini
- 【Wide Applications】What on earth can these be applied to? Filled in resin mold/silicone mold/casting mold/epoxy mold, necklaces pendants jewelry DIY making, simulated forest landscape embellishments, art glass crafts and other handmade crafts will make this be the most welcome set
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL: These resin silicone molds are made of durable silicone by advanced techniques.With the flexible, smooth and reusable epoxy molds,you can use, de-mold and clean them easily. There are nonstick silicone measuring cup and high quality plastic pipettes.
- VARIOUS SHAPES: 5Pcs casting molds including Sphere, Cube, Pyramid, Square, Round to meet your various need . Equipped with 1 silicone measuring cup and 5 plastic pipettes to make your creation more convenient.
- EASY TO RELEASE AND CLEAN: Keep the resin molds smooth and clean interior before use, so it’s easy to twist the silicone mold and pop out your finished resin items after it’s completely cured ; clean the epoxy molds with soap water and storage them away from direct sunshine and dust.
- MULTI-PURPOSE: These slicone resin molds are compatible with most resins or other casting materials such as epoxy resin, soap, bath bomb, candle, beverage coaster, bowl mat etc. Perfect for your DIY handwork and give you a wonderful resin-making experience.
- QUALITY GUARANTEE: We try our very best to make good epoxy resin molds. But if you are not satisfied with your purchase or you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at anytime. We’re happy to help.
To Wrap Up
In the end, the best mold material for casting resin will depend on your project. If you want to make a small sculptural piece, like a pendant or a key chain, a pumice stone can be perfect. If you are planning on making a larger sculpture and need something more durable, then you should consider using plaster as your material of choice.