It can be difficult to find the perfect enclosure for your new build. Not only does it need to look good, but it also needs to offer effective cooling and durability in order to keep your system safe. Here are some tips that will help you select the best enclosure for you and your budget.
Quick table with our top 3 picks:
5 Things To Consider Before Buying The Best Raid 5 Enclosures
1. Size –
The size of the enclosure is one of the most important factors in choosing a good raid enclosure. You want to make sure that it will fit your motherboard, CPU cooler, and any other peripherals that you plan to use with it. It’s also important to find one that fits in with your case’s interior design. If you have a full tower case with lots of room inside, you may want to go with something bigger than a standard ATX form factor enclosure; however, if you’re building into a smaller case, you’ll need something small enough to fit inside the case without taking up too much space.
2. Cooling –
You’ll have plenty of options to choose from when it comes to cooling your system and keeping it cool. The best raid 5 enclosures often come with liquid cooling, and some even come with active power management features. This is extremely important if you plan on overclocking your system and want to keep the temperatures in check.=
3. Power –
You’ll want to make sure that you get a good amount of power from the enclosure’s power supply, especially if you’re planning on overclocking your system. This is especially important if you’re considering putting a high-end graphics card into the enclosure as well, since they usually require more power than a standard CPU or motherboard can provide.
4. Compatibility –
Finally, make sure that you purchase an enclosure that’s compatible with your motherboard and CPU cooler before purchasing it; otherwise, you may have trouble installing them correctly and getting them working properly. If this happens, it could lead to system instability or damage to other components inside the case as well, so be sure to check the compatibility before you buy.
5. Features –
Finally, you’ll have a number of different features to consider when choosing an enclosure. Some will come with active power management features, liquid cooling, and more; others may even come with extra storage options or accessories for your system.
Top 9 Raid 5 Enclosures Reviewed
- MULTI-RAID MODES -- Each version is equipped with Raid function, which can support Raid 0/1/3/5/10/JBOD/CLONE and other diversified backup and accelerated read-write modes, allow users to adjust and set up by dialing combinations according to their own needs.
- TOOL FREE INSTALLATION -- The construction of the multi drive enclosure is magnetics design with 8 magntic chips on the cover, you can just spend 3 seconds to complete drive installation and prolong the service life of the cover.
- DUAL CHIP CONTROL -- The 5 bay c enclosure adopts high-end dual control chips, which has both transmission performance for fast 5Gbps and stability and can carry the huge data interaction of the enterprise, reduce the delay.
- GOOD HEAT DISSIPATION PERFORMANCE -- A 92mm cooling fan built in the 5 bay drive enclosure with honeycomb dissipation holes can helps the accelerated by the flowing wind.
- 12 MONTH QUALITY ASSURANCE WITH LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT - All ORICO products purchased through Amazon include an 12-month quality assurance and lifetime technical support. If for any reason, you are dissatisfied with the product, just let us know and we promise to make it right.
- Supports all brands of 2.5" And 3.5" Sate I/II/III hard disk Drive up to 10TB per drive up to 5 x 10TB. Support hard drive transfer rate up to SATA III
- Raid support: RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 3, RAID 5, RAID 10, span, and JBOD
- East interface requires port Multiplier w/FIS-based switching on main computer to enable access to multiple HDDs simultaneously
- D5-300 is equipped with brand new USB 3.1(Gen1) type-C high-speed interface and compatible with Mac (not compatible with macOS Monterey), Windows and Linux computers, and also works with the computers possessing the Thunderbolt 3 interface.
- Up to 100TB storage capacity. D5-300 can support five (5) SATA hard drives, is compatible with 20TB 3.5 inch SATA hard drive, and has a total storage capacity up to 100TB ( in RAID0). Compatible with various hard drives including 3.5" SATA hard drives, 2.5" SATA hard drives and SSD. (Note: users need to purchase their own hard drives. HDD's are not included.)
- Relying on the USB 3.1 Gen1 super speed protocol, the D5-300’s transmission speeds can reach up to 220MB/s (Tested with dedicated NAS drives 4TB RAID 0).
- Supports multiple RAID modes: RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, CLONE, JBOD, and Single Disk. RAID 5 is recommended as the best option for D5-300, which balances between data security and storage capacity.
- Various applications. Great for video editing, photo backup, storage of R&D technical documents, archival backup, music libraries, financial records, storage of video surveillance recordings and corporate data storage. Featuring an aluminum-alloy shell and low-noise fans, D5-300 is extremely solid and reliable with good heat dissipation capabilities and low noise production.
- 【Reliable External Storage System for Individuals】This 5 bay hdd enclosure support up to 80TB external expanded storage. The front door adopt user-friendly PUSH Design for easy install and replacement of hard drives. It is an ideal choice for personal storage at home and office. It can support different drive type(s)-2,5"/3,5" HDD/SSDs, so you can take advantage of your hard drives' potential fully.
- 【Flexible RAID for Customized Work Need】It supports RAID 0/1/3/5/10/JBOD(SPAN)/CLONE RAID modes. You can optimize/simplify your workflow by chosing suitable RAID configuration. You can choose hardware RAID for easy set without downloading application, or you can use Software RAID to set/manage RAID modes. It is the ultimate storage solution for demanding video workflows on location and in the studio.
- 【80mm Silent Fan Inside】The 5 bay enclosure built with rugged heat-dissipating aluminum shell, front and rear with cooling holes, a 80mm silent fan inside can effectively accelerate air convection and rapid cooling. It is ideal for noise-sensitive environments.
- 【For 2,5/3,5-inch Hard Drives】It comes with five removeable trays, allowing for easy installation and replacement of either the large desktop hard disk drives or the portable laptop drives and SSD's. Note: Spare trays are sold separately in a set of six trays, extra screws are provided, Get it at ASIN:B083S8VDQK. Five indicator lights help you to monitor the working status of your hard drives whenever.
- 【5Gbps Transfer Rate】This 5 bay hdd enclosure adopt USB3.0 protocol, transfer rate up to 5Gbps (MAX). Equipped with a versatile USB3.0 Type-B interface to connect other peripheral devices. Compatible with most Windows, Mac and Linux systems.
- 【90TB,Enterprise-class Storage Capacity】 This 5 bay hard drive Case supports 5 hard drives with a max. capacity of 90TB(18TB for single disk).Great for video editing, photo backup, storage of R&D technical documents, archival backup, music libraries, financial records, storage of video surveillance recordings and corporate data storage.With 5 indicator lights to monitor the operating status of each hard drive. Plug-and-play hot swapping.
- 【Full RAID function, Flexible Storage Solution】 Yottamaster 5 Bay RAID HDD enclosure is the ultimate storage solution for demanding video workflows on location and in the studio.Supports RAID 0/1/5/10 / JBOD / CLONE/Normal RAID modes; Manage massive amounts of media from multiple cameras on location or in the studio with up to 80TB of RAID storage in one system.
- 【For 2.5"/3.5" HDD & SSD】 Yottamaster 5 bay hdd enclosure designed for both 2.5" SSDs where speed is the priority and for 3.5" HDDs when it's important to maximize the storage capacity.The removable aluminum trays allow for easy installation and replacement of the drives.Your hard drives can be firmly fixed on the tray by provided screws,which can effectively protect your hdds from shock and interface damage.
- 【80mm Silent Fan Inside】 The 5 Bay USB 3.0 SATA hard drive enclosure is all Aluminum design. Built- in 80 mm silent fan; With front and rear Meteor cooling holes. An ultra durable aluminum casing provides efficient heat dissipation, plus an extra 80mm rear fan accelerate air convection and keeps your drives cool during long hours of operation.
- 【5Gbps Transfer Rate】 This 5 bay hard drive enclosure adopt SATA III protocol,Featuring a versatile USB 3.0 interface with a transfer speed up to 5Gbps(MAX)to meet the needs of the flexible storage for demanding workflows.Compatible with most Windows,Linux and Mac systems. meanwhile supported 10mins Intelligent Sleep(Note: The Auto-sleep time can be adjusted/canceled.)
- Support All Brands Of 2.5 Inch And 3.5 Inch Sata Hard Disk Drive Up To 18Tb Per Drive. (Does Not Support Raid And Nas Function)
- Smart Fan Function With Built-In Thermal Sensor Support Auto & Manual Mode With 3 Level Of Fan Speed
- Super Speed Usb3.0 5Gbps Connection Transfer Your Files In A Breeze. Supports Sata I/Ii/Iii(6Gb/S), Uasp And Usb 3.0(5Gb/S)
- Independent Control Switch For Each Drive Allows Drives To Be Powered Off Individually. Dissipates Heat Efficiently With Steel Housing & Quiet Fan
- [80TB Larger Capacity] - WS series drive bay enclosure can support all 3.5inch sata hard disks under less than or equal to 16TB HDD, altogether 80TB large capacity for hard drive expansion, maximize to meet your data storage and backup demand. The 3.5inch drive enclosure also a good choice for nas expansion or the data protector in big enterprise
- [Support RAID Mode] - The 5 bay external hard drive raid enclosure support RAID 0/1/3/5/10/JBOD/ClONE/Normal RAID Mode which can meets different work requirements, and enlarge the ways of working habits. With back cover RAID Set and built-in RAID software management, you can choose the way you convenient. Please operation follow the page description and user manual of the 5 raid bay enclosure
- [Great Heat Dissipation Performance] - Designed with a built-in cooling fan and honeycomb heat dissipation holes on the front and back cover of the 5 bay type c external hard drive enclosure, made by all aluminum alloy enclosure and allows the heat generated in the use to be accelerated by the flowing wind for the great ventilation performance
- [5Gbps Transfer Speed] - The external hard drive enclosure adopts high performance master control scheme, and set with SATA3.0 interface, the data transfer rate of the sata 3 enclosure can reach up to 5Gbps with the A to C data cable, which can effectively improve the rate by about 20% than USB2.0
- [Screw Installation] - You need to loosen the cover screws and the bracket screws when install your hard drive in the drive bay enclosure. Multi protection for the hard drive and the data safety, flexible the open and install way of the 5 bay hdd enclosure, ensure the data in a safe environment
- Works with all USB systems, Thunderbolt 3 compatible
- Up to 947MB/s
- Includes SoftRAID: robust software for creating, monitoring, and managing advanced RAID sets
- Four universal drive bays for 2.5" and 3.5" drives
- 4 Year OWC Limited Warranty
- Interface: USB 3.0, eSATA, and FireWire 800
- Simple RAID configuration via switch settings, no software required
- RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID 3, RAID 5, SPAN, JBOD
- Note: We recommend using only Enterprise or NAS drives (512e only). The Mobius is not compatible with 4Kn hard drives.
To Wrap Up
Choosing the right case for your new rig can be tricky. Do you go for a budget option or do you get something flashy? Here is a guide to help you choose the best case for your needs.