Rear surround speakers are a common and important feature of most home theater setups. These speakers allow you to add an immersive 3D audio experience to your TV or computer. Rear surround speakers are also commonly known as “LSs”, “subwoofers”, or “enclosures”. In this article, we will look at what rear surround speakers are, the different types of rear surround speakers, our pick of the rear surround speakers, and a buying guide for rear surround speakers.
Quick table with our top 3 picks:
Top 9 Best Rear Surround Speakers Reviewed
- Reproduce movie theater sound with immersive bipolar surrounds
- Bipolar radiation pattern for optimum surround imaging
- Premium components ensure serious performance, natural sound and seamless timbre to match with the Fluance SX Series and other high quality systems
- Expertly crafted engineered MDF wood cabinetry to reduce cabinet resonance, with a black ash wood finish
- Full lifetime parts and labor manufacturer's direct warranty with lifetime customer support
- Conforms to Dolby Atmos specifications
- 4" spun-copper woofer
- 1" Aluminum lets tweeter mated to a 90x90 square Tractrix Horn
- 100 watt power handling
- Dual 1” titanium lts vented tweeter with hybrid tractrix horns
- Dual 5.25" spun copper cerametallic woofers
- Wide dispersion surround technology
- Optional rear speakers featuring 360 Spatial Sound Mapping for use with HT-A7000 or HT-A5000 Soundbar
- Direct wireless connection with HT-A7000 or HT-A5000 Soundbar
- Built-in battery with up to 10-hour battery life and quick charging
- Immersive audio from up-firing speakers
- Activate Sound Field Optimization with OPTIMIZE button
- GET SUPERIOR HOME THEATER EXPERIENCE WITH IMMERSIVE SURROUND SOUND – Featuring (1) 0.75" tweeter & (1) 5.25" Dynamic Balance Driver, these speakers are designed to produce a natural, well-balanced sound with massive bass even at the lowest frequencies
- Use these wall-mountable bookshelf speakers as FRONT, LEFT-RIGHT SETUP, SURROUNDS OR AS REAR SPEAKERS and get mesmerized by detailed audio with crystal clear vocals, enough to fill any small to medium sized room
- CREATE A FULL-FLEDGED 5.1 HOME THEATER SETUP with the complete range of T-series speakers from Polk with two T50 Tower Speakers, one T30 Center Channel, two T15 Bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer
- Polk speakers are COMPATIBLE WITH MOST HOME THEATER AV RECEIVERS giving you many setup arrangement options - in single or multi-room with 2.0, 2.1, 3.1 systems or an immersive 5.1, 7.1 or 9.1 setup
- POLK'S UNMATCHED QUALITY AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE. With these value-priced speakers, you can now enjoy premium acoustics, high quality construction, easy setup and a spectacular theater experience right at home
- With 70+ years of audio excellence, experience the absolute best audio no other soundbar can replicate. Feel the roomshaking bass with industry’s only Dual Wireless Subwoofers & 360° 9.2 channel audio from every direction with our soundbar + four modular surround effects speakers. This plug and play solution’s designed to bring the acoustics of a high performance cinema into your living room in approx 30 minutes. Winner of the best Dolby Atmos soundbar battle (hosted by Brian Tong, Ex-Cnet host)
- Our DUAL 10" WIRELESS SUBWOOFERS (industry's 1st!), the new soundbar reference standard for bass, produce ground-shaking rumbles that turn your living room into an epicenter of adrenaline-pumping action. They merge to distribute bass evenly throughout the room with zero localization. The sound bar, surrounds and subwoofers replicate the perfect theater experience, reaching cinema-level volumes with no distortion. Agreed among experts, TWO subwoofers are a must for ultimate home theaters.
- FOUR 2-WAY SURROUND SPEAKERS (industry's 1st!). Each of them (connected to sub via RCA wires) is constructed with a tweeter that reproduces high frequencies with captivating clarity, and a full-range driver that delivers surround effects with power and precision. MODULAR in form, they are designed to work perfectly for any room size or shape. Attach them as dipoles to disperse expanded surround effects or detach as 4 individual speakers (signature setup) to deliver our 360° surround sound
- Redefine soundbar expectations and surround performance with our exclusive SSE Technology. Featuring 3 advanced audio processing engines working in harmony to enhance directionality, enlarge spaciousness and unlock extra details of any audio soundtrack. Envelop your home theater with up to 9.2.4 channels of Dolby Atmos or DTS:X object based multi-dimensional audio that flows around, above and through you. Unleash the full dynamics of your audio experience with 110dB of room-filling sound
- All units sold since Aug '19 can receive Dolby Atmos surround via TV’s eARC when streaming with TV’s smart apps like Netflix (Note: not all TVs can output Atmos. Refer to your TV brand’s audio output specs). Enjoy advanced connectivity with Dolby Vision, 4K UHD pass-thru and High Dynamic Range (HDR). Connect up to 6 devices via 1 HDMI ARC, 3 HDMI, 1 Optical and 1 Coaxial inputs. The 52-key backlit remote allows seamless control of sources, DSP modes, individual channel and room size optimization
- Designed to match and enhance the overall aesthetic and acoustic performance of the Bose sound bar 700
- Wireless, Cinematic sound that puts you in the center of your entertainment
- Simply plug the adapters into a power source and wirelessly connect the receivers to the sound bar to enjoy your entertainment in minutes
- Compatible with the Bose sound bar 700, Bose sound bar 500, and sound touch 300 sound bar
- Available in Bose Black or Arctic white
- VERSATILE: Switch from Dolby Atmos to height or rear surrounds with the flip of a switch.
- BIGGER TRACTRIX HORN: A new, larger 90° x 90° silicone composite hybrid Tractrix horn provides crisper, clearer dialogue.
- LINEAR TRAVEL SUSPENSION (LTS) TITANIUM DIAPHRAGM TWEETER: The exclusive LTS minimizes distortion for enhanced, detailed performance.
- VENTED TWEETER DESIGN: The vented tweeter housing enhances the detail in what you hear.
- ALL-NEW CERAMETALLIC WOOFERS: Updated for absolutely flawless sound reproduction, minimum distortion, and maximum efficiency.
- The sound bar will automatically decode Dolby digital and DTS 5. 1 Audio and provide discrete surround sound
- One 3" Full range driver per speaker surround you with clear vocals and dynamic soundtracks
- Place these surround speakers on a tabletop, use speaker mounts or mount to a wall with the convenient 1/4-20” inserts
- Power Source Type: Corded Electric
- Included Components: Connection Dongle
Buying Guide For The Best Rear Surround Speakers
1. The Best Rear Surround Speakers
The best rear surround speakers are those that offer the most immersive surround sound experience. For example, if you’re going to be using rear surround speakers in your home theater setup, it is important that you get a pair of rear surround speakers that can handle very loud audio levels. This is because a pair of rear surround speakers that can handle very loud audio levels will produce a more immersive sound experience.
2. Types Of Rear Surround Speakers
There are two main types of rear surround speaker: 1) “enclosures” and 2) “subwoofers”. Enclosures are the most common type of rear surround speaker and they contain a box which sits behind the TV or computer monitor. Enclosures tend to have a greater range than subwoofers but subwoofers have better bass response than enclosures. The main reason why people choose enclosures over subwoofers is that enclosures are more compact and they are easier to install than subwoofers. A good rear surround speaker will have a range of 50 Hz to 20,000 Hz. The range should be from 50 Hz to 20,000 Hz in order to produce a surround sound effect that is immersive.
3. Rear Surround Speakers For A TV Or Computer Monitor
Rear surround speakers for a TV or computer monitor should be able to produce high quality audio at very loud volumes. In other words, rear surround speakers for a TV or computer monitor should not be able to become distorted at loud volumes and they need to have the ability to handle very loud volumes without distorting the sound quality in any way. The main benefit of rear surround speakers for a TV or computer monitor is that they can provide you with immersive surround sound effects and they can provide you with better bass response than front speakers would do on their own. Front speakers are not designed to produce very loud volumes and they are not designed to handle very loud volumes. If you’re going to be installing rear surround speakers in your home theater setup, it is important that you get a pair of rear surround speakers that can handle very loud volumes. It is also important that you get a pair of rear surround speakers that can handle very loud volumes without distorting the sound quality in any way.
4. Rear Surround Speakers For A Gaming System
Surround sound for gaming systems should be able to provide a realistic and immersive experience when playing games such as first-person shooters, real-time strategy games, role-playing games, etc. For example, if you’re going to be using rear surround speakers in your home theater setup for playing first-person shooter games, then it is important that you get a pair of rear surround speakers that has both a wide frequency range as well as very low distortion levels so that you can hear all of the sound effects that are occurring in the game. The main benefit of rear surround speakers for gaming systems is that they can provide you with immersive surround sound effects when playing games. They can also provide you with better bass response than front speakers would do on their own.
5. Rear Surround Speakers For A Home Theater System
Rear surround speakers for a home theater system should be able to produce high quality audio at very loud volumes. In other words, rear surround speakers for a home theater system should be able to handle very loud volumes without distorting the sound quality in any way and they need to have the ability to produce very high quality audio at loud volumes so that they can reproduce all of the sounds that are being played by your entire home theater setup, including all of the sounds from your subwoofers and your front speakers. The main benefit of rear surround speakers for a home theater system is that they can provide you with immersive surround sound effects when playing movies, music or games. They can also provide you with better bass response than front speakers would do on their own.
Rear surround speakers are capable of providing surround sound effects that add depth to your TV or computer experience. They are easy to set up, affordable, and provide great sound quality. Rear surround speakers are a great addition to any home theater setup. If you don’t have rear speakers or if you’re looking to upgrade, our top pick is the Onkyo SKG-TP580 Center Channel Speaker System. This speaker system has been praised by owners for its clear sound, depth of virtual surround sound, and affordable price.