Even the most diligent gardeners can have a hard time keeping their chickens out of their own garden. Chickens love to get in and spoil you for the rest of the week, especially on weekends. Fencing is a great way to keep chickens out of your garden but it’s also a great way to get them back in again. Because as we all know, chicken is king! If you live in an urban area or simply don’t have any natural boundaries in your backyard, then you might want to consider buying chicken-proof fencing. A fence is a great way to keep the chickens out but it can be just as effective at keeping your friends and family members in too. So how can you keep your chickens out of your garden without fencing? Well, that’s what we’ll be exploring today.
How to Keep Chickens Out of Your Garden Without Fencing
1. Use a Fence Post to Block Chickens From Getting Through
Chickens love to dig. When you’ve got a fence post that’s been in the ground for a few years, it will be well-established and firmly planted in the soil. This means that the chickens can’t get at it very easily. If you want to keep them out of your garden, all you need to do is put up a barrier between the chicken pen and your garden. You can use chicken wire or chicken netting or even just some stones. The idea is that it blocks the chickens from getting through, so they won’t ever be able to get into your garden again!
2. Make Your Garden A No-Go Zone For Chickens
If you have more than one place where your chickens are allowed, then make sure that they don’t have access to any of them! You can do this by either putting up another fence or simply making sure that there are no entrances/exits for your chickens in any of them! This will mean that they won’t be able to access any of their areas, which means they won’t be able to get into your garden either! You can also consider installing some electric fencing around each area if you want an extra level of security (always read the instructions before using any electric fencing though).
3. Put Up A Fence To Keep Them Out Of Your Garden
Finally, you can use a fence to keep them out of your garden. You can use chicken wire or chicken netting or even just some stones. The idea is that it blocks the chickens from getting through, so they won’t ever be able to get into your garden again! If you want to get fancy, you can also make a tunnel by digging a hole in one corner of your garden and lining it with chicken wire. This will make it look like a tunnel and the chickens will likely think that it’s their way in!
4. Use A Dummy Chicken To Keep Them Out Of Your Garden
You can also use a dummy chicken to help keep them out of your garden. A dummy chicken is simply any old hen that you don’t want around your garden but doesn’t actually live there. If you have any spare hens, then these are perfect for keeping them out of the area where they aren’t allowed. Just make sure they aren’t too close to the real thing though! You could try putting up some fake eggs or even just putting up a fake hen in place of the real one if you want to go really crazy with this idea!
5. Use A Scarecrow To Keep Them Out Of Your Garden
You can also use a scarecrow to keep them out of your garden. If you go for this idea, make sure that it’s not a real chicken! If you want to get really creative and make it look like a real chicken, then you can always paint it in the right colors and then put some fake feathers on it (you can get the feathers from your craft store).
6. Use A Scarecrow To Keep Them Out Of Your Garden
Finally, you can use a scarecrow to keep them out of your garden. This is especially good if you don’t have any dummy chickens around but still want to keep them out of the area where they aren’t allowed (ideally, this should be an area that they aren’t allowed into anyway!). You could even just put up a fake bird that looks like a pigeon instead – this would be especially effective if there are any pigeons flying around near where your garden is!
7. Make A Fence To Keep Them Out Of Your Garden
Finally, if none of the ideas above work for you, then there are two things that you can do: either make a fence or buy one to keep them out of your garden! Either way, these will all help to keep them out and stop them from getting into your garden in the first place!
Tips for keeping chickens out of your garden without fencing
- The easiest way to keep chickens out of your garden is to simply put up a chicken fence. These are very cheap and simple to put up, and you can also find them in many different designs online. They are easy to install (you can even do this yourself) and then once they’re up, chickens will be unable to get into your garden without them!
- Another method that you can use is chicken netting. This is another option that is cheap and easy to install, but it works slightly differently than chicken wire. Chicken netting looks like an ordinary fence but uses strong mesh instead of wire – this means that the chickens cannot easily get through it! However, they still have quite a bit of leeway with this method – if they manage to break through it, then they will still be able to get into the garden because there’s still quite a bit of space between the mesh and the actual fence post!
- Lastly, you could also put up some chicken fencing around your garden if none of the above methods work for you! This type of fencing looks exactly like a normal fence but has metal posts that are attached together by wires – these wires allow them to move freely but keep them from getting through! You could even put up these fences in conjunction with other methods such as chicken netting or fake eggs (this would likely stop them from trying too hard).
The 5 Most Important Things to Know About Chicken-Proof Fencing
- To make sure that chickens can’t get into your garden, you will need to buy fencing that is big enough to contain them! You want to make sure that the fence is at least six feet high, otherwise, they might still be able to squeeze through!
- Chicken-proof fencing usually comes in the form of chicken wire or chicken netting – these are both very good options and will keep chickens out just as well as a chicken-proof fence!
- If you don’t have time to put up a whole chicken-proof fence (or if you don’t want to!) then you can also buy a chicken door on Amazon. This is basically a fake chicken door that looks like an ordinary door and will stop chickens from getting into your garden without requiring any extra work on your part!
- Another option for keeping chickens out of your garden is by putting up fake eggs in the garden instead – this will stop them from trying too hard, but it won’t completely prevent them from getting in because they can still break through it if they try too hard! To do this, simply find some old eggs (or buy some new ones) and put them around your garden where there are no plants or flowers – this way, they won’t be tempted to lay their eggs on the plants or flowers where other birds might see them and eat them!
- If you have already bought a chicken-proof fence and chickens are still getting into your garden, try installing some chicken netting to the top of it! This will prevent chickens from getting through while still allowing them to get in and out as they please!
As you can see from the above list, there are many different types of chicken-proof fencing. The most common are electrified, blast-fencing, and goat fencing. Each of these can have its own benefits and disadvantages and can be used to keep chickens out or in. There are also many different brands, types, and price ranges of chicken-proof fencing available so make sure you know what you’re getting before a purchase.